Old 26-09-2019, 12:41 PM posted to rec.food.baking
Peter Flynn Peter Flynn is offline

Default Ultimate Cornbread recipe

On 11/06/2019 23:44, Peter Flynn wrote:
[...]
1 Cup Cornmeal

This I must hunt for. It's non-native, but I think my spice merchant
sells it.

1. Before I launch into this, Cornmeal isn't the same as Cornflour,
right? We use cornflour for thickening, not baking.

1 Tbs. Baking Powder
1 Tsp. Baking Soda

Baking powder *and* baking soda? I have some Clabber Girl double-acting
BP that I brought back a few trips ago. Would I need baking soda as well
if I used this?

2. Can anyone clarify? I have just seen another recipe which calls for
both and I'm puzzled.

1.5 Cups Buttermilk (strongly preferable) or regular Milk

Buttermilk it shall be.

3. Is this buttermilk as in the liquid left over after making butter, or
the commercially-cultured stuff (which I don't think we have).

Peter