Posted to rec.food.baking
Peter Flynn Peter Flynn is offline

Default Ultimate Cornbread recipe

On 11/06/2019 23:44, Peter Flynn wrote:
[...]
>> 1 Cup Cornmeal

> This I must hunt for. It's non-native, but I think my spice merchant
> sells it.

1. Before I launch into this, Cornmeal isn't the same as Cornflour,
right? We use cornflour for thickening, not baking.

>> 1 Tbs. Baking Powder
>> 1 Tsp. Baking Soda

> Baking powder *and* baking soda? I have some Clabber Girl double-acting
> BP that I brought back a few trips ago. Would I need baking soda as well
> if I used this?

2. Can anyone clarify? I have just seen another recipe which calls for
both and I'm puzzled.

>> 1.5 Cups Buttermilk (strongly preferable) or regular Milk

> Buttermilk it shall be.

3. Is this buttermilk as in the liquid left over after making butter, or
the commercially-cultured stuff (which I don't think we have).

Peter