Posted to rec.food.preserving
songbird songbird is offline

Default late tomatoes (was: The 25th...

Melba's Jammin' wrote:

congrats!

> Thirteen ribbons for 20 entries is good and I am happy with the
> results. I didn't enter stewed tomatoes or tomato juice this year
> because the tomatoes are late!! And I now have a bunch of them to deal
> with. I may put up more stewed tomatoes for my shelves because they
> are so versatile.

that is all we do with them, tomato chunks, dunked
in hot water to release the skins and then peeled,
chunked and then sealed in the jars. no spices or
anything else added.

this year has been unusual, but we've done ok in
spite of the odd weather.

today was the last major picking of tomatoes and
we brought in six buckets worth and i'm just getting
ready to finish processing them after having rinsed
and sorted earlier.

a lot more waste than usual so i don't expect more
than 25-30 quarts from these - more likely 18-20 if
i have to throw a lot of them away.

the plants are still flowering and trying to put on
more fruits but i don't know how long the weather
will cooperate with them to finish them up.

songbird