Posted to alt.food.wine

Default '95 Terraces

On 9/3/19 12:18 AM, greybeard wrote:

> Spicy meatballs in tomato/onion sauce, potato mash and green beans.
>
> 1995 Esk Valley Terraces. Hawkes Bay; Merlot, Malbec, Cab Franc 13.5%
> Cork closure.
> Dark black, darker with time in decanter, nondescript nose, palate:
> prune, leather, coffee, fully integrated components but fraction more
> acidity needed. hint of cane sugar (flavour - not sweetness ) in
> aftertaste suggests chaptalised?

When St H, Ian Hoare and I visited there in '01, a barrel sample of the
Malbec prior to blending was a revelation. It sounds like your wine has
aged fairly well, but I don't know what to make of the cane sugar. I
suppose they could Chaptalize, but is it really done much in NZ?

Mark Lipton

--
alt.food.wine FAQ: RIP cwdjrx