View Single Post
  #1 (permalink)   Report Post  
Posted to alt.food.wine
external usenet poster

Default TN: Chillable reds

The new Rob was hosting our local wine group, hes one town up so we gathered an Ubered up to his home. Nice evening on deck, with lots of food- Freds pate with Robs homemade bread, a nice grilled pizza, grilled ribeye and vegetables. There was a forgettable bubbly, and then to the blind wines - theme was Chillable Reds.

2017 Domaine des 2 Anes €śPremier Pas€ť Corbieres
I thought Loire at first, once we got South I got Carignan, but not where I went originally.
Bright red fruits, a touch of barnyard, herbs. Not very long but pleasant. B

1995 Breton €śLes Perrieres€ť Bourgeuil
(I double-decanted just before leaving house)This divided group, as bell-peppery Cab Franc can do. Fred immediately guessed Chinon, so pretty close. Crunchy red and black raspberry, lots of pepper notes (green and black), some leather and earth (one person thought bretty but I didnt get that). Good acids, mostly resolved tannin. B++

2017 Whitecliff Reserve Gamay Noir ((Hudson River Region)
What a surprise when unveiled, we had gotten Gamay, when he said New World I guessed Niagara. Tart cranberry, nice herbiness, bright. Best HV wine I remember. B

2017 Descendientes de Palacios Petalos (Bierzo)
Good acids, strawberry and vanilla, light finish. B/B-
2017 Gautier €śSoif€ť Bourgueil
I quite liked this, though I didnt get Loire. Soft black fruit, smoke, I thought this was a Rhone VdP or something. B

2011 Italo Pietrantonj Montepulciano dAbruzzo
I had no clue on this one, and didnt think it benefited from bring chilled. Hard cherry fruit, tart, clipped. Ill stick to Masciarelli (at cool room temp). B-

Prada aTope Limonada de Mencia
So when this was poured I recoiled from nose. On third try I was able to really smell. Someone said €ślemon dish soap€ť but I insisted on €śLemon Fresh Lysol€ť It was better on palate, but how could it not be? OK on palate sweet, tangy, short. OK theme was chillable reds €¦.C

Fun night

Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent wine, B a good wine, C drinkable. Anything below C means I wouldn't drink at a party where it was only choice.Furthermore, I offer no promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.