Posted to rec.food.preserving
songbird songbird is offline

Default Sauce & Relish

Drew Lawson wrote:
> It seems to be a little watery again. I'm getting better at cucumber
> management, but still ended up needing to use some that were more
> mature than ideal.

do you scoop out the insides? we do with an ice-cream
scooper. while i don't mind eating that myself Mom objects
to it in most things.

> Maybe next year. I now know that what I planted
> this year wasn't enough to expect pickles and relish. Probably
> plant 2-3 times as much next year and pull the vines when I get
> tired of picking them.
>
> Next thing, hopefully, is dilly beans. I didn't get a chance to
> check the beans today. That could happen soon.
>
> Green beans are another thing that I only planted in eating quantity,
> not canning quantity. I have a batch canned, but don't know if
> that will happen again. Fingers crossed.
>
> I think the tomatillos are close to ready, and need to check out
> salsa recipes.
>

> All in all, it's been a good garden/canning season so far, at least
> for my expectations. I'll daydream about being in the George Shirley
> class, but at the end of the day I'm fine with just being me.

we're just starting our tomato canning today.
finally have enough at one picking to do it.

pickles are done for the season. we just picked
two more buckets of cucumbers but they will be eaten
or given away.

i did 12 pints of bread and butter pickles with
the previous batch.

we did 111 quarts of dill pickles.

songbird