Posted to rec.food.cooking
Bruce[_28_] Bruce[_28_] is offline

Default Civic Holiday dinner

On Mon, 5 Aug 2019 20:06:41 -0400, Dave Smith
> wrote:

>I wasn't very hungry and had little interest in dinner. We had been out
>to Canal Days in Port Colborne and we had shwarma for lunch. It was
>piled high with chicken and miscellaneous extras. I was ready to take a
>pass on dinner, but my wife suggested that we could use up a bag of
>shrimp that was in the freezer as a nice,light dinner. We put the
>shrimp in a bowl of water to thaw while I made a marinade of lemon
>juice, olive oil, lots of garlic, a dash of Worcestershire sauce, some
>ketchup, salt, pepper, hot sauce and parsley. I put the shrimp in to
>marinade for about and hour, then stuck them on skewers. I had a roll
>and some salad with it. It was fantastic.

Civic Holiday:
Statutory holiday in British Columbia (British Columbia Day), New
Brunswick (New Brunswick Day), Northwest Territories (Civic Holiday),
Nunavut (Civic Holiday), and Saskatchewan (Saskatchewan Day).

Civic holiday (may be a paid vacation day depending on employer) in
Alberta (Heritage Day), Manitoba (Terry Fox Day), Ontario (Colonel By
Day + John Galt Day + Simcoe Day + others), Nova Scotia (Natal Day),
Prince Edward Island (Federal Civic Holiday).

Not an official statutory holiday in Ontario, but it is widely
observed. Not observed in Newfoundland and Labrador, Quebec, or Yukon.