Posted to alt.food.wine
DaleW[_2_] DaleW[_2_] is offline

Default TN: 3 white Burgs and 7 Volnays with Turkish food

Our city Bordeaux group veered in Burgundy Tuesday night. Theme at dinner at Sip Sak was white Burgundy and Volnay. Restaurant staff did a nice job, and food was good- especially the meze we started with- labneh with roasted pepper, hummus, gigante beans, grilled octopus, grilled sausage with fries, dried cucumber.

2016 Etienne Sauzet Les Champs-Gain Puligny-Montrachet 1er
Pretty and perky, pear and floral notes over a minerally finish with just a whisper of oak. A-

2015 Thomas Morey €śLes Dents de Chien€ť Chassagne-Montrachet 1er
Fuller but not soft, pear and hazelnut with long rich finish. A-/B+

2014 Niellon €śLes Vergers€ť Chassange-Montrachet 1er
Not as much sulphur as last bottle, floral citrus blossom and apples, tasty.. B+

Really nice lineup of whites, all of which should theoretically age, but who is chancing it these days?

My main was grilled lamb chops with rice

2006 de Montille €śChampans€ť Volnay 1er
Not as backward as I would have expected for de Montille, ripe red fruit with some incense/sandalwood and a tangy finish. B+/B

2005 Henri Boillot €śLes Chevrets€ť Volnay 1er
A bit tight, oak is pretty evident, but a nice wine underneath. I enjoyed this but think will be better with time. B for now

2002 Bouchard Volnay €śClos Des Chenes€ť Volnay 1er
This one was the other one that definitely needs time, more open fruit but the wood isnt really integrated. Still, a good core of fruit underneath and good length. For now B

2002 Pousse d'Or €śClos de la Bousse d'Or€ť Volnay 1er
Lush red fruit with a backbone of acid, well-integrated sandwood/nut oak notes, exotic and tasty. A-

2002 Francois Gaunoux €śClos Des Chenes€ť Volnay 1er
Nice spice, surprisingly pretty mature, raspberry and cherry, good length, most ready wine. B+

1998 Lafarge €śClos Des Chenes€ť Volnay 1er
Still some tannin but not hard, black cherry, some mocha and smoke notes. Good length, good showing. A-/B+

1998 d'Angerville Clos Des Chenes Volnay 1er
Hey both 98s showing well. Black and red cherries, smoked meat, crunchy mineral finish. A-/B+

Fun night with good crew, and I liked all the wines, though some better for drinking now