Posted to rec.food.cooking
jmcquown[_2_] jmcquown[_2_] is offline

Default Soaking beans

On 7/13/2019 1:39 PM, KenK wrote:
> Every couple of weeks I make some bean soup in my old Rival crockpot. About
> 6 - 8 hours on high, a few more hours until supper time on low. I soak the
> nothern beans overnight.
>
> If I forget to soak them, can I still make the soup by adding extra water
> as needed since they cook so long? I'm too lazy to try it. Anyone?
>
> TIA

There's always the quick soak method for dried beans. Only takes an
hour. Bring the beans to a boil in a pot, well covered with water.
Reduce the heat and simmer, cook for an hour. Take off the heat. Drain
the beans. Then use them in the crockpot, slow cooking for hours with
all the additional liquid required to make soup. Even a crock pot
requires liquid. Gotta start out with fairly tender beans, too. It
might be easier and cheaper for you to buy and make soup using canned beans.

I've got a great Spicy Five Bean soup recipe. It calls for canned
beans. I cook it in the crock pot on LOW because it needs to simmer for
a bit to blend the flavours. I can put everything in the pot and walk
away and do things around the house. I never have to worry about
soaking beans or the soup not being delicious.

Jill