Posted to rec.food.preserving
Drew Lawson Drew Lawson is offline

Default dill pickle season starting up

In article >
songbird > writes:
> a little later than some years due to rains/cloudy
>weather, but finally was able to put up 12 quarts
>last night.

Everything about my garden slipped by 4-6 weeks this year, so my
cucumbers are only about a half inch long right now. I'm hoping
for small dill pickles and a batch of dill relish this year.

The cucumber crop has been a bust the last 2-3 years (all my fault),
so I don't even know whether I have the number for vines I need.
But that's part of the garden adventure.

> the only changes this year from my standard recipe
>is that i'm making the brine a bit stronger and my
>brother wanted more salt in his.

I've been wandering through Joy of Pickling recently, and I'm having
some trouble settling on which recipes to try. Past batches were
from the BBB. Definitely plan some pickled green tomatoes, since
I planted my usual tomatoe crop but still have 2 years worth of
sauce canned. I'm sure I'll can a batch of sauce this year, but
probably not 2 batches like usual.

--
Drew Lawson While they all shake hands
and draw their lines in the sand