Posted to rec.food.baking
Peter Flynn Peter Flynn is offline

Default Ultimate Cornbread recipe

On 06/06/2019 20:46, Derek Schur wrote:
> In the interest of furthering the neverending discussion of how best
> to make cornbread, I offer the following thoughts. Start as as follows.

Never tried this, although I think I may have eaten it on a trip to the
US once. It was like a yellow focaccia. and really good.

> 1 Cup Cornmeal

This I must hunt for. It's non-native, but I think my spice merchant
sells it.

> Sugar--Anywhere from nothing, if you're a True Southerner, up to 1 Cup,
> if you're A Damned Yankee. (My taste is about 1/4 Cup.)

Lips are sealed on this.

> 1 Tbs. Baking Powder
> 1 Tsp. Baking Soda

Baking powder *and* baking soda? I have some Clabber Girl double-acting
BP that I brought back a few trips ago. Would I need baking soda as well
if I used this?

> 1/8-1/4 Tsp Nutmeg (*Yes! This matters!*)

Cool.

> 1.5 Cups Buttermilk (strongly preferable) or regular Milk

Buttermilk it shall be.

> Grease a 10" skillet, and place it in a cold oven, and then pre-heat
> it to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.

A skillet has a handle, right? Like a frying pan?
> *EXCEPT* for one point. The Northern/Southern
> thing. I.E.--sugar. That's a Holy War that just can not be resolved by
> discussion. So let's not even try.

Do Southerners use vi or Emacs?

Peter