Wcsjohn

Well done, Ed,

I bake for local village fete competitions, nothing too serious but I have
learned a few pointers.

An excellent presentation, that looks good and is very convenient for the
judges, is to make both a big loaf and a batch of little rolls from the same
dough. That way bread is available for tasting without having to cut the loaf.

Pay special attention to the visual aspect. If the loaf or rolls are slashed,
be extra precise in your slashing. Take great pains to ensure even glaze, if
used. If you're scattering seeeds onto the bread make them as even as
possible.The best (if a little messy) way to obtain an even spread is to
sprinkle the seeds from about 3 feet above the bread. I just put them on the
kitchen floor and the scattered seeds that bounce are easy to sweep up.

If you're really serious about this, bake 2 loaves and 2 batches of rolls and
take the best looking with you. You can eat the rest<g>

If you can, bake the bread on the morning of the competition, freshly baked
bread has a much better appearnce and taste.

Whatever you do, don't let the bread look underbaked, pale bread is not
appetising to most people.

If your local competitive bakers are anything like the ones in these here
parts, be prepared for petty jealousies, snide comments and backstabbing
character assassination and, if you think you have a chance of winning as a
newbie, park your car, with the engine running, close to the car park exit in
case a quick escape is needed.<g>

Don't assume that the judges know anything about the finer points of bread.

If the rules allow it, I normally have a small dish of butter and a little bowl
of EVOO for the judges and a dish of cream cheese would be a good idea.

Don't pack your bread in plastic bags or wrap, for transport, they can destroy
a crust's crispness in an hour or 2. Use towels.

HTH

Love

John