Posted to alt.food.wine
DaleW[_2_] DaleW[_2_] is offline

Default TN: Easter weekend - Bdx, Beaujolais, Barolo, Bandol (blanc),RIeslings, more

We were all supposed to go to a seder Friday night, but my MIL wasnt feeling well so stayed home. Scallops, green beans, bulgur, salad, and:

2012 Terrebrune Bandol Blanc
Quince and pineapple, lower acid, a bit flat. B-/C+

2017 Ch. Graville-Lacoste (Graves)
Honeysuckle and citrus blossom on nose, just a hint of grass, on palate apple and lemon. Light and straightforward. B/B-

A violinist who used to be in a trio with Betsy was visiting with her family. She does a lot of new music and tango, so Saturday an interconnected group of classical/jazz/alternative musicians (2 guitarists, 2 cellists, 2 violinists 2 drummers, 2 pianists 1 clarinetist- I was only non musician in bunch) came for dinner.
We started with coppa, fromage de tete, home smoked trout and salmon, & deviled eggs

NV Pierre Peters Cuvee de Reserve GC BdB Champagne (mag)
This one has a QR code but only takes to PP site- strange
Bright, dry, crisp and elegant, yum. B++

Sat down for an amuse of scallop seviche
2014 La Barbotaine (Champault) Sancerre
Grass, apple, lemon, more grass, a bit clipped on finish. C+

2010 Jager Achleiten Riesling Smaragd
Lemon, lemon, lemon, ginger, some rocks. Despite the citrus notes round & fleshy, but tasty. B

We had made leg of lamb, cardamom/herb rice, & asparagus; others brought tofu and vegetable casserole, salad, quinoa with prosciutto and chevre, dan dan noodles, spicy sesame noodles, olive bread with mozzarella, and more

2004 Giovanni Rosso €śSerralunga€ť Barolo (mag)
Decanted about 2-3 hours before service. Red and black cherry , rose petal, tar. No hurry but drinking well. B+/B

1979 Ch. du Tertre (Margaux)
Another good showing. Bright acids, fully resolved tannin, black plum and currant with tobacco and earth. Good finish. B+/A-

2001 Ch. Lagrange (St Julien)
Young but approachable, some manageable tannin, cassis and red plum with some overlay of vanilla, toast, and cocoa. Fairly plush but not soft. I preferred du Tertre but think table fave. B+

2016 J. Vineyards Pinot Noir (Russian River Valley)
I needed a bit of red for a sauce with the lamb drippings, but was loath to use any of above. So opened this (an apparent host gift from some earlier event). Fine for sauce, not my style- ripe and very sweet, strawberry jam, a touch of heat (14.7 isnt so high for CA but this was noticable), just not fun (others liked more). C+/C

Easter just a small gathering at SILs. Charcuterie, smoked salmon, deviled eggs. Then pork roast, potato/fava/artichoke dish, Brussels sprouts, rainbow carrots

2015 Donnhoff Riesling
This is the estate QbA (AP 01). Somehow 1st bottle out of a case, what have I been waiting for? Sweet apple, blood orange, ginger, and minerals. Offdry but sweetness matched by vibrant acids. Great for level., B+

2008 Desjourneys €śLInterdit€ť "vin de France"
I think this is Fleurie that was denied appellation. Spicy/herby, hint of barnyard, red berries. Nice and interesting wine, happy to have tried at about $26 on closeout, but I dont think this would be a value at its suggested price. B