Posted to rec.food.cooking
jmcquown[_2_] jmcquown[_2_] is offline

Default how to tenderize inside round for chicken fried steak

On 4/16/2019 9:40 AM, Gary wrote:
> A Moose in Love wrote:

>>> There's no need to tenderize cube steak; it's already gone through the
>>> tenderizer. All you need to do is decide if you are going to cook chicken
>>> fried steak or country fried steak or steak fingers.

>> i've had tough cube steak once in a while. hence the need to smash it some more.

> Using cheap and tough beef, better to just grind it (or ask to
> have it ground). Then turn it into a large flat patty, either for
> a burger, salisbury steak or for this fried beef with white gravy
> travesty. Talk about TIAD, imo. I've tried it 3 times (different
> places) and each time I felt sorry for the cow that got killed
> just to make that nonsense.

If you don't start with 'Select' or other crappy grades of beef, CFS
made from good grades of round steak, pounded, can be delicious without
grinding and turning it into a patty. Also not tough when run through
the tenderizer at the store.

> Not all country cooking is good. Grits are a great way to ruin
> good corn too. As always, just my worthless opinion plus I like
> to joke around here sometimes.

Yeah, you're joking. I guess you don't want the recipe for an excellent
grits casserole.

Jill