Posted to rec.food.sourdough
Boron Elgar[_1_] Boron Elgar[_1_] is offline

Default Is this a viable SD starter?

On Tue, 16 Apr 2019 14:16:19 -0600, notbob > wrote:

>On 4/16/2019 12:55 PM, Boron Elgar wrote:
>
>> Early on in my SD days, I bought a crock from KA to use for SD. I used
>> it for awhile and went back to Rubbermaid or similar because the crock
>> never offered a perfect seal for long-term storage in the fridge
>> (sometimes my starters lounge in the fridge for weeks)

>> One thing to know about bread baking is that there is no "right way"
>> of doing things and that extends a tad into the starters, too. Not
>> only are there those who say to never use plastic containers, but
>> some also warn folks off using metal utensils to mix, too. I have
>> found no diffs.

>I like yer style.
>
>Took me 2 yrs of making pies to get the crust jes right. Now, it's a
>cinch.
>
>Ken Rollins suggests a 1-1/2 qt crock-pot covered with a do-rag cuz he
>sez, "If you hear a sound like a shotgun in the middle of the night,
>it's yer starter exploding in that sealed container". Recall I sed Ken
>uses, "instant yeast".
>
>I'll get it. Thanks for the tips, Boron.
>
>nb

Happy to help. Always.

The way not to pop the top on a starter container is to deal in really
small amounts until you are doing a build (creating enough for a
specific recipe) for a loaf.

I admit to an overflow here and there over the years, strictly by my
won silliness and overgenerosity is normal refreshment.