Old 16-04-2019, 08:37 PM posted to rec.food.sourdough
Graham Graham is offline

Default Is this a viable SD starter?

On 2019-04-16 11:55 a.m., notbob wrote:
On 4/16/2019 9:06 AM, graham wrote:

Take a couple of Tbsps of the starter (discarding the rest) and feed
it with flour and water. Do this several times. DON'T put it in the
fridge until you have a good, powerful starter and need to store it.
BTW, if there ever is liquid on the surface, pour it off! It contains
alcohol as a by-product of fermentation and will only inhibit bug
development.

Thank you, graham, for your timely reply.

I have found a U2B video that shows a live starter from King Arthur
(KA).* Since I use a lotta KA flour (bread, 100% whole wheat, organic
APF, etc), I thought it would be nice to see what a live starter looks
like.* KA makes one and it's nice to see it.* Interesting!

Here's the video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-sMTUaq8Rrk

Feel free to comment.* The video is "Vino Farm" (lower right corner)

I've been watching Ken Rollins (chuck wagon cook) make SD everything,
but he sez "never" in plastic and seldom bakes @ 8K ft elev.* He
recommends 1-1/2qt "crock" which the guy from Vino Farm is totally
against.* I'm going fer consistency rather than exact measurements.

Plus, Ken recommends mixing in the alcohol "dark" liquid (he also uses
"instant" yeast).* (I have brewed whole grain beer so know what "kriek
lambics" are).

Otherwise, when it comes to bread, I have no idea what I'm doing.* Am
watching KA's vids on sourdough, now.**

nb

I recommend this Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XpxFkUYz8LY

In fact, Breadtopia.com is a very good place to start. Like the guy in
this video, I keep my starter fairly stiff, 65g water to 100g flour.

Here's the grand-daddy of SD pages: http://carlsfriends.net/

Dick Adams, who used to post here regularly, has an excellent recipe:
http://carlsfriends.net/dickpics/billowy.html

Note that he makes loaves in tins! My only difference with Dick is that
I start baking at ~450F, not from cold as he suggests.

There is so much SD folklore out there and as I wrote before, stirring
in the hooch makes NO sense. The idea that the wild yeast is in the air
is mostly nonsense - there's not enough to make a difference unless you
live in a bakery or brewery:-) Most of it is on the surface of the grain
- hence I started my culture with WW (and rye) flour, using white to
feed after the culture got going.