Posted to rec.food.cooking
[email protected] penmart01@aol.com is offline

Default how to tenderize inside round for chicken fried steak

On Tue, 16 Apr 2019 04:48:30 -0700 (PDT), A Moose in Love
> wrote:

>On Sunday, April 14, 2019 at 9:32:29 PM UTC-4, wrote:
>> On Sunday, April 14, 2019 at 10:41:15 AM UTC-5, A Moose in Love wrote:
>> >
>> > i tried it once. i hammered the inside round steak until it was really thin. using the tenderizing side of a mallet. it was still pretty tough. any suggestions? maybe the next time, i'll buy cube steak and then still pound it out.
>> >

>> There's no need to tenderize cube steak; it's already gone through the
>> tenderizer. All you need to do is decide if you are going to cook chicken
>> fried steak or country fried steak or steak fingers.

>i've had tough cube steak once in a while. hence the need to smash it some more.

Cube steak is not pounded, the cubing machine doesn't pound, it slices
many small slits. For very little money you can purchase your own
home-style cuber, called a Jaquard. Pounding meat toughens it by
rupturing the muscle cells which releases the meat's moisture,
resulting in dry tough meat. It's far better to slice your steak thin
longitudinally, i.e. cutlets... quite easy to do; with the palm of the
hand with fingers raised press the meat to a cutting board and with a
*sharp* chefs knife slice the meat through with a slight sawing
motion. With a little practice you'll be able to slice a steak into
several 1/8" cutlets... the trick is to keep the blade's cutting edge
ever so slightly tilted downward... begin with a thick piece of meat
to relieve the fear of cutting yourself. I've been using the
technique all my life and have never cut myself... works very well
with skinless boneless chicken breasts... you definately don't want to
pound them unless you like tough titty.