Old 18-03-2019, 03:03 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Carrot Fries!

"cshenk" wrote in message
Julie Bove wrote:

"cshenk" wrote in message
Well friends, like always I start cooking by looking in the veggie
bin! Since Charlotte is still trimming, this one came over as 'I
haven't had fries in ages!'

Now tomorrow is a freebee diet day as we celebrate Saint Patrick and
that means 'Daddy Fries' but she wanted something for other times.

Take carrots and cut lengthwise then placing the flat part down,
cut to fries (shoestring type cut works best here). You want
enough for each person to have 1 cup of carrot fries. Carrots are
52 calories a cup. Potatoes are 105.

Dust the carrot pieces with 1/4 TB cornstarch per cup of cut carrots
then sprinkle with spices. We liked a sweet paprika and a whisky
smoked black pepper. Cornstarch is 30 calories per TB or 7.5 per
1/4 TB.

Drizzle 1/2 TB olive oil per cup of carrots and mix well. Olive
oil is variable by brand but the one on my counter says 120 per TB
(15ML) so 60 calories used per cup of fries.

I had just finished baking bread at 400F so added these in a single
layer and flipped them 10 minutes later and they were done in about
another 10 minutes.

Calories per cup: 52+7.5+60=119.5 (call it 120, or 60 per 1/2 cup
serving size). Sodium negligible. Cost estimate hard to define
because of spice versions and that cornstarch lasts forever so
can't recall the price. A swag would be 20cents per cup?

Provided that carrots do not spike BG's in your case, this is Vegan,
Vegetarian, diabetic acceptable, low sodium, and while not classic
low-fat does fit in a low fat diet.

*classic low-fat can be odd. Often they required each dish not have
more than a percentage of the calories from fats. Because of the
olive oil, this one fails the classic test with more than 10% from
fats.

What is the point of the cornstarch?

It makes then crispy with minimal oil needed. Probably an optimal
recipe for an Air fryer. I don't have one but recipes like this make
me think it might be a good addition here.

Carrots are naturally crispy. I guess I don't get it.1