Posted to rec.food.preserving
Melba's Jammin' Melba's Jammin' is offline

Default Is this a good deal?

On 2018-10-27 21:48:49 +0000, heyjoe said:

> On Mon, 22 Oct 2018 14:25:13 -0600
> in Message-ID: >
> notbob > wrote :
>
>> The cheapest I've found this 23 qt Presto pressure canner is at Walmart.
>> I gotta order it online and have it sent to my local sto
>>
>> https://www.walmart.com/ip/Presto-23...-01781/2625289
>>

>> I see some one-star ratings, most complaining about the Presto alum 23
>> qt pressure canner (#01781) bulging out at the bottom after only a few
>> uses.
>>
>> Is this true? I'll wait and save and buy a better canner, if need be.
>>
>> nb

> Have no idea about a Presto. I use a Mirro that's been around a long
> time.
>
> Couple of thoughts, tho.
>
> The size/form factor - that's a tall pot.
> Only two reasons I can think of for using that form factor.
> 1) You're planning on canning large runs of pint or smaller jars and you
> want to double stack them - or
> OMG - you're going to can 1/2 gallon jars
> 2) You're going to also use it for boiling water bath canning
>
> The 23 quart and 16 quart canners hold the same number of quart canning
> jars (7). Do you really need the extra height of the 23 quart canner?
>
> The Presto has a dial guage to measure pressure. That guage should be
> checked every year to be sure it's operating accurately. That's
> expecially true for your altitude, where stuff should be canned at
> 15PSI. Around here, that annual pressure check can be done by the
> County Ag Extension office. How close are you to your local extension
> office? Might give them a call and talk to their reaident expert.
> They might offer canning classes for a nominal fee (in season - mid
> summer here, but after my peaches are ready).
>
> What kind of warranty does the Presto offer? You're going to be running
> it at the upper end of its presure range and warping that bottom may be
> a concern.

Note to Notbob: There are no tested recipes or times for canning
anything in half gallon jars except for a couple fruit juices.
The National Center for Home Food Preservation (NCHFP) at the U of GA
is your go-to source for safe info along with Ball and your state
university's extension division -- Colorado? Consider he
https://extension.colostate.edu/topi...y-health/#pres

Read the introductory chapters of whatever paper text you'll use.
Understand the underlying principles of safe food preservation.. It is
science but not rocket science.

Good luck -- and walk before you run.

Barb
www.barbschaller.com, last update April 2013