Old 26-02-2019, 02:08 AM posted to rec.food.preserving
Melba's Jammin' Melba's Jammin' is offline

Default Is this a good deal?

On 2018-10-27 21:48:49 +0000, heyjoe said:

On Mon, 22 Oct 2018 14:25:13 -0600
in Message-ID:
notbob wrote :

The cheapest I've found this 23 qt Presto pressure canner is at Walmart.
I gotta order it online and have it sent to my local sto

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Presto-23...-01781/2625289

I see some one-star ratings, most complaining about the Presto alum 23
qt pressure canner (#01781) bulging out at the bottom after only a few
uses.

Is this true? I'll wait and save and buy a better canner, if need be.

nb

Have no idea about a Presto. I use a Mirro that's been around a long
time.

Couple of thoughts, tho.

The size/form factor - that's a tall pot.
Only two reasons I can think of for using that form factor.
1) You're planning on canning large runs of pint or smaller jars and you
want to double stack them - or
OMG - you're going to can 1/2 gallon jars
2) You're going to also use it for boiling water bath canning

The 23 quart and 16 quart canners hold the same number of quart canning
jars (7). Do you really need the extra height of the 23 quart canner?

The Presto has a dial guage to measure pressure. That guage should be
checked every year to be sure it's operating accurately. That's
expecially true for your altitude, where stuff should be canned at
15PSI. Around here, that annual pressure check can be done by the
County Ag Extension office. How close are you to your local extension
office? Might give them a call and talk to their reaident expert.
They might offer canning classes for a nominal fee (in season - mid
summer here, but after my peaches are ready).

What kind of warranty does the Presto offer? You're going to be running
it at the upper end of its presure range and warping that bottom may be
a concern.

Note to Notbob: There are no tested recipes or times for canning
anything in half gallon jars except for a couple fruit juices.
The National Center for Home Food Preservation (NCHFP) at the U of GA
is your go-to source for safe info along with Ball and your state
university's extension division -- Colorado? Consider he
https://extension.colostate.edu/topi...y-health/#pres

Read the introductory chapters of whatever paper text you'll use.
Understand the underlying principles of safe food preservation.. It is
science but not rocket science.

Good luck -- and walk before you run.

Barb
www.barbschaller.com, last update April 2013