Posted to rec.food.preserving
Wilson[_6_] Wilson[_6_] is offline

Default Is this a good deal?

On 10/22/18 4:25 PM, notbob wrote:
> The cheapest I've found this 23 qt Presto pressure canner is at Walmart. Â*I
> gotta order it online and have it sent to my local sto
>
> https://www.walmart.com/ip/Presto-23...-01781/2625289
>

> I see some one-star ratings, most complaining about the Presto alum 23 qt
> pressure canner (#01781) bulging out at the bottom after only a few uses.
>
> Is this true?Â* I'll wait and save and buy a better canner, if need be.
>
> nb

I have a 23 qt. Mirro canner that uses a weight on top. Being an accountant,
I thought that the dial gauge would be more accurate.

However, the gauge needs to be annually test. If you have vision problems,
you might not like getting your face up close and personal to a pressure canner.

The benefit of the weight, holding 5, 10 or 15 psi, is that you choose your
weight and then set your temperature according to instructions. It will rock
and make a racket, but you don't have to sit right on it. You could be
across the room. Pressure canners IMHO, should never be left unattended.

If you check the vent stack to make sure it isn't plugged to begin with (I
poke it with an un-bent paperclip) and you follow directions, it should
never wear out.

Bulging bottoms sounds like a BS story or somebody darn near blew themselves up.

--
Wilson 44.69, -67.3