Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Chef Boyardee Throwback

On 2019-02-16 1:18 p.m., Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> On Saturday, February 16, 2019 at 10:44:36 AM UTC-5, cshenk wrote:

>> Mostly the canned and jarred sauces (especially in the so called more
>> high scale brands) add a lot of sugar and/or salt to them. Haven't
>> noted a sweet soup yet but there probably are some.

> Campbell's tomato soup is horribly sweet. So's the vegetarian vegetable.

I wonder the sweetness comes from tomato paste. We reheated some
leftover pasta sauce the other day. We had just got our new fridge and
had cleaned out the freezer. There had been two half cans of tomato
paste in there and I added one of them to the sauce. It was not just a
richer tomato flavour to the sauce. It was much sweeter.