Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Chef Boyardee Throwback

On Friday, February 15, 2019 at 11:24:31 AM UTC-5, Gary wrote:
> wrote:

> > >OK Julie. I did the side by side comparison yesterday. I usually
> > >buy the large ravoli or the lasagna but for this comparison I
> > >bought Beefaroni only because that was the only one in store
> > >with both versions.
> > >
> > >Regular version is very watery (soupy). Way much water in it.
> > >Beef is hardly recognizable. No garlicy taste worth mentioning.
> > >Put this on your plate and it will run over the entire plate.
> > >
> > >Throwback version is thick, no running from the pile. You can
> > >pile it up and it stays piled up. Lots more beef and a much
> > >better flavor all around. It's definitely a huge improvement in
> > >texture and taste.
> > >
> > >IMO, this 'Throwback' version is worth every extra penny compared
> > >to the regular stuff. If that was their original recipe years
> > >ago, shame on them for dumbing it down just to save pennies since
> > >then.
> > >
> > >I do buy 3-4 cans per year and I WILL buy the Throwback from now
> > >on.

> > Yoose all should be embarrassed to advertise that yoose all buy that
> > doodoo... it's very easy to make your own by the big potful and freeze
> > portions... would be a much better product and would cost far less.

> Both you and Jill always say that...."easier to make your own"
> Both of you are retired and have all the time in the world to
> make your own but not always with working people. Get real.

I work and make my own. It just requires wanting to badly
enough. If your palate accepts canned and jarred stuff, fine.

This weekend I'm buying a turkey. Leftovers (including stock
made from the carcass) will be frozen.

Of course, that does require having an extra freezer, which as
a homeowner I am capable of having.

Cindy Hamilton