Posted to rec.food.cooking
Gary Gary is offline

Default Chef Boyardee Throwback

wrote:

> On Fri, 15 Feb 2019 09:30:56 -0500, Gary > wrote:
>
> >Julie Bove wrote:
> >>
> >> The claim is that there is more meat in the old style and it's Angus beef.
> >> Also no high fructose corn syrup and the sauce is much thicker. A person who
> >> did a comparison thought there was far too much garlic in the old style.
> >> That could be it. I can handle a small amount of garlic but not too much.

> >OK Julie. I did the side by side comparison yesterday. I usually
> >buy the large ravoli or the lasagna but for this comparison I
> >bought Beefaroni only because that was the only one in store
> >with both versions.
> >
> >Regular version is very watery (soupy). Way much water in it.
> >Beef is hardly recognizable. No garlicy taste worth mentioning.
> >Put this on your plate and it will run over the entire plate.
> >
> >Throwback version is thick, no running from the pile. You can
> >pile it up and it stays piled up. Lots more beef and a much
> >better flavor all around. It's definitely a huge improvement in
> >texture and taste.
> >
> >IMO, this 'Throwback' version is worth every extra penny compared
> >to the regular stuff. If that was their original recipe years
> >ago, shame on them for dumbing it down just to save pennies since
> >then.
> >
> >I do buy 3-4 cans per year and I WILL buy the Throwback from now
> >on.

> Yoose all should be embarrassed to advertise that yoose all buy that
> doodoo... it's very easy to make your own by the big potful and freeze
> portions... would be a much better product and would cost far less.

Both you and Jill always say that...."easier to make your own"
Both of you are retired and have all the time in the world to
make your own but not always with working people. Get real.

I keep some canned food for emergency situations where frozen
food might thaw. Not all canned food is bad. You buy plenty of it
yourself....like cases of Progresso soup.

Hey....YOOSE like spam. Yoose could make that yourself too from
scratch fresh pig and using RO water. Yet yoose still buy and
like spam. So....bite me.