Posted to rec.food.cooking
Terry Coombs Terry Coombs is offline

Default Honey score in the cupboard

On 2/12/2019 12:45 PM, Gary wrote:
> Terry Coombs wrote:
>> On 2/4/2019 7:35 AM, Gary wrote:
>>> Terry Coombs wrote:
>>> What do honey bees do in the winter (or at least on cold days),
>>> Terry? Hibernate, I assume.
>>>
>>> I had an odd encounter with a honey bee one nice warm day that
>>> then turned extremely cold within an hour. It was 2-3 years ago
>>> in January or February. I'll tell the story once you tell me how
>>> they normally spend winter days.

>>  When the temps drop below about 40-50°F they cluster up in a ball .
>> Usually in the center of the hive , but the cluster can be anywhere .
>> There is a constant circulation of bees from inside to outside and back
>> , their body heat produced warms the cluster but not the hive itself .Â
>> On warm days they break cluster and go on "cleansing" flights - gotta
>> take an occasional dump ya know .

> That's just like those idiot penguins that live in Antarctica do.
> They do the same thing while stupidly standing out in open land
> with full winds hitting them......for months on end.
>
> Same dumb thing that seagulls here do. On an extremely cold and
> windy day, they will all stand in a parking lot right at the
> oceanfront facing the wind so it doesn't ruffle their feathers.
> Dumbasses have a large building right near them....they could
> walk over next to that and get out of the wind and be so much
> warmer.
>
> But...they all survive so who am I to complain?
>
> Question for you again: When temps fall way below their cluster
> thing...like 10F. Do they hibernate or just go into suspended
> animation? They must do that or most would all die in winters in
> the north. I do know that bumble bees shut down when frozen then
> revive when warmed up.

Up north they sometimes insulate the hives some , especially in places
where the temps go well below zero F . We've had occasional temps here
down in single digits , the clustered bees did just fine . The big thing
is that they need food - honey or sugar - and it has to be accessible
while in cluster . As long as they have something to eat they'll pull
thru - usually , unless there are other problems like a lot of mites or
other pests . Mice can wipe out a hive in very short order . The real
worrisome time is early spring when they're "brooding up" in preparation
for the spring nectar flow . Takes a lot more food to make babies than
it does to keep the cluster warm .

--
Snag
Yes , I'm old