Posted to rec.food.cooking
Gary Gary is offline

Default okra

Nancy2 wrote:

> Rich, my favorite way to prepare it is to throw it in the compost pile.
> Sorry. Not. ;-))

LOL So funny Nancy2. I had eaten okra in different dishes a few
times and it seemed ok. So then once I saw a 7oz box of frozen
okra at the store and bought it. I always like to taste any
vegetable 'as is' before it's seasoned.

So I heated up the okra in microwave with a lid on...aka steamed
it. Once I gave it a stir with a fork, I went to try a bite -
just plain, no seasoning.

Well...I scooped a forkfull up to taste and from plate to almost
my mouth was a slime string. I saw that slime and totally freaked
out. "WTF IS THAT???" I had never heard about ocra and the slime.
All I could think of is that some asswipe in the food factory
spit in this vegetable. I dug around in it more and all had this
evil slime. Again: "WTF? ;-o " I totally freaked out and tossed
every bit of that in the garbage disposal.

It even killed my appetite for the rest of dinner. Only months
later did I read that okra has slime. Even better educated now, I
never buy okra. A slimey vegetable is just wrong to me.