Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default snow big deal

On 2019-02-12 11:07 a.m., U.S. Janet B. wrote:
> On Tue, 12 Feb 2019 04:03:16 -0800, "Julie Bove"
> > wrote:
>

> snip
>>
>> Our snow here is different. East Coast snow is dryer. West Coast snow is
>> heavy and wet. Forms a thick layer of ice almost instantly. And they use
>> salt/sand or chemicals on the East Coast.

> Not true, every place gets all different kinds of snow

It has nothing to do with east or west. It is the weather conditions are
the time. Snow that falls when it is close to the freezing point tends
to be wetter and heavier. Snow that falls when it is dry and cold tends
to be light and fluffy, but that same snow can be dense and heavy if it
falls during high winds that break up the crystals. That was what
happened here in the Blizzard of 77. There was not that much snow but it
was extremely cold and Lake Erie was frozen over. Snow was blown all the
way across the lake and the flat areas of south western Ontario. Then it
piled up into huge, solid drifts here.