Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default snow big deal

On 2019-02-12 7:04 a.m., wrote:
> On Mon, 11 Feb 2019 20:01:44 -0800 (PST), "

>> We've got a fleet of snow plows as well as mountains of salt ready to be used.
>> However, we don't use sand.

> Outside the city we use sand only - people have wells and salt
> draining from the road is deadly.

Really? Nova Scotia has modified its approach to winter road
maintenance by using more efficient methods of salting, but it still
uses a lot of salt on its roads. For a number of years they have been
applying it proactively, applying a salt solution to the roads before
the snow starts.

Well salt pollution is not much of an issue in rural areas. There is
relatively little salt used per unit area compared to urban areas where
there are many more roads and higher standards. My well is only about 60
feet from the road and I have no salt issues.

https://novascotia.ca/tran/winter/info_sheet.pdf

http://conf.tac-atc.ca/english/resou...s5/richard.pdf