Posted to rec.food.cooking
Ophelia[_16_] Ophelia[_16_] is offline

Default Question about whistling tea kettles

"dsi1" wrote in message

On Monday, February 11, 2019 at 10:47:34 AM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:
> "dsi1" wrote in message
>
> On Monday, February 11, 2019 at 8:43:55 AM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:
> > "dsi1" wrote in message

> > > Another fool....spending extra money just to boil a cup or two of
> > > water. LOL.

> > There's a cultural aspect to this electric kettle thing. My guess is
> > that
> > many homes in the UK will have one of those and it's similar to how the
> > Japanese will have automatic rice cookers. The ones that I saw in the UK
> > was
> > just spiffy. It used induction heating and could boil water fast because
> > they operate at a higher wattage than American - 3000W!
> >
> > The Japanese also like to have hot water on hand. They favor insulated
> > vacuum pots rather than the ones the Brits use. These pots are probably
> > popular because these cultures are likely to drink tea at any time of
> > the
> > day. Americans don't use these things because they drink coffee. They
> > mostly
> > make coffee in the morning or purchase coffee when they need to during
> > the
> > day. You think they're stupid because you're not a tea drinker.
> >
> > ==
> >
> > We don't drink tea, but D does drink instant coffee. We do have an
> > electric
> > kettle AND an electric rice cooker)))

> In the US, the hotel rooms will usually have a drip coffee maker. Not so
> in
> the UK. Luckily, we had plenty of hot water and that instant coffee stuff
> was really appreciated! We drank a lot of it.
>
> We have an electric kettle in a box in the kitchen. My daughter must have
> gotten that one. I have no idea what we can do with it since I only boil
> water in the mornings. To boil water, I use a saucepan - odd as that
> seems.
> My inventory is one electric kettle in a box and zero rice cooker. That's
> kind of messed up.
>
> ---
>
> lol each to his/her own as they say))
>
> Btw just to boast here a wee bittie ... I have 3 rice cookers <g> At home
> small one and a large one, and one small one at the caravan)

It's odd that I have no automatic rice cooker. Looks like I'm up a creek
without a rice paddle. That's the breaks. I used to be into my cheap cooker.
It's quite a versatile device. It only has two speeds but it I could do a
lot with it. Now, I must journey through life without my beloved rice cooker
but someday, perhaps, we shall meet again.

https://www.rogerebert.com/rogers-jo...-how-to-use-it

=

Hey! That looks exactly the same as my two small ones)))) Yes, they
were cheap but they are perfect for me) er what else do rice cookers do?

I certainly don't use them for anything else!

Anyway, why not buy to a new one?? Go on .. treat yourself))