Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default snow big deal

On 2019-02-11 6:33 p.m., wrote:
> On Monday, February 11, 2019 at 3:30:31 PM UTC-6, Dave Smith wrote:
>>
>> We always get a chuckle over the traffic chaos that results from very
>> small amounts of snow in the lower half of the US. It seems that is
>> takes only about a half inch of snow to bring the transportation

>> infrastructure to its knees.
>>

> That is because we do not get significant amounts of the white stuff. When you
> have to drive in a condition that you have no experience driving in of course
> we are brought to our knees. Are we supposed to save two weeks of our vacation
> and schedule those weeks for the second week of January in Minneapolis so we
> can learn to drive in a condition we rarely experience? Are we supposed to
> stay off the roads because some Northerner is here visiting but we are annoying
> him and in his way because we don't know how to navigate in it?

Yes, I realize that you don't often get significant amounts of snow, but
there is a huge difference between what you think is a significant
amount and what people further north think is significant. It has a lot
to do with the road and highway departments not having the resources to
deal with it. It costs a lot of money to have a fleet of trucks on hand
for sanding and flowing operations. When we get some freezing rain or
snow we sand the roads for traction, and plows to clear heavier amounts
of snow. Since you don't have the means to deal with the stuff it gets
packed down and turns to ice, and there is no traction on ice.