Posted to rec.food.cooking
cshenk cshenk is offline

Default Dinner tonight (2/6/19)

jmcquown wrote:

> On 2/10/2019 2:55 PM, Gary wrote:
> > Bruce wrote:

> > > "Frying" a steak in stock to prevent sticking...

> > Not just "frying" in stock but in a seafood stock? A steak cooked
> > in a seafood stock? No wonder the Japanese lost the war in 1945.
> > A nasty country full of TIAD peoples. Oh sure..they like Usains
> > enough now but they sure didn't all those years ago.
> >

> Hey, Carol can cook steak however she wants to. She was stationed at
> Sasebo for 7 years and likes the Japanese way of cooking. If that
> means steaks in in dashi... okay. dsi1 is the person who said "a
> good amount of oil". All I can say is, we aren't the ones eating it.
> I don't cook steak in oil nor do I ever use dashi.
>
> Jill

Grin, no worries. 'Water Frying' was a term in Sasebo used to
translate how the local folks made some dishes. It's not technically
accurate of course, but meant to 'sizzle something in a little liquid
instead of fat' (the liquid would be cooked off and infuse the item and
it ended in a sound of 'frying' hence the term I was told).

When I google for ' Water Frying', I see some serious and some
humourous related posts about it. None seem to really match what my
neighbor showed me to do and called 'water frying'.