Posted to rec.food.cooking
tert in seattle tert in seattle is offline

Default snow big deal

writes:
>On Monday, February 11, 2019 at 3:01:05 PM UTC-5, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
>> On 2/11/2019 1:34 PM, tert in seattle wrote:
>> > People panicked here in the Seattle area last Thursday, as evidenced
>> > by my local Fred Meyer being completely out of shopping carts when I
>> > arrived around 6pm to pick up a few things. I had done my major shopping
>> > the day before and as always I managed to forget something. I soon found
>> > where all the shopping carts had gone - they were manned by restive
>> > customers standing in lines 20 deep, going halfway up the aisles. I
>> > must say things were pretty calm despite the gridlock and lack of
>> > essentials like bread and bananas. Fortunately I had "about 12 items"
>> > and the express lane lines were more reasonable.

>> When I lived in Philadelphia, that was common. In New England, no big
>> deal. People were batter at driving in snow and the highway crews are
>> better equipped to deal with it. In all my years in CT, if I could get
>> out my driveway I could get to the store.

>Same here in Michigan. What do you call 8" of snow? Tuesday.
>
>Cindy Hamilton

In general you put resources where needed. It rarely gets below freezing
here so the typical response for side streets is to wait until it melts
and/or the rain washes it all away. Seattle is also very hilly and most
people don't have much experience driving in the ice and snow. I came
here after living in the midwest my whole life until 2002 so I have
learned how to deal with it. But I'm sure the extended cold is testing
the limits of all kinds of infrastructure and systems not designed for
it. For example, a friend of mine has crappy heat and insulation in her
apartment and if she doesn't keep a space heater running in her bathroom
the toilet will freeze. A water main broke yesterday in West Seattle
which created more ice while a bunch of people didn't have water or had
brown water for a while.