Posted to rec.food.cooking
dsi1[_2_] dsi1[_2_] is offline

Default Question about whistling tea kettles

On Monday, February 11, 2019 at 8:43:55 AM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:
> "dsi1" wrote in message
>
> On Sunday, February 10, 2019 at 8:18:30 AM UTC-10, Gary wrote:
> > wrote:
> > >
> > > We use an electric tea kettle too,

> > Another fool....spending extra money just to boil a cup or two of
> > water. LOL.

> There's a cultural aspect to this electric kettle thing. My guess is that
> many homes in the UK will have one of those and it's similar to how the
> Japanese will have automatic rice cookers. The ones that I saw in the UK was
> just spiffy. It used induction heating and could boil water fast because
> they operate at a higher wattage than American - 3000W!
>
> The Japanese also like to have hot water on hand. They favor insulated
> vacuum pots rather than the ones the Brits use. These pots are probably
> popular because these cultures are likely to drink tea at any time of the
> day. Americans don't use these things because they drink coffee. They mostly
> make coffee in the morning or purchase coffee when they need to during the
> day. You think they're stupid because you're not a tea drinker.
>
> ==
>
> We don't drink tea, but D does drink instant coffee. We do have an electric
> kettle AND an electric rice cooker)))

In the US, the hotel rooms will usually have a drip coffee maker. Not so in the UK. Luckily, we had plenty of hot water and that instant coffee stuff was really appreciated! We drank a lot of it.

We have an electric kettle in a box in the kitchen. My daughter must have gotten that one. I have no idea what we can do with it since I only boil water in the mornings. To boil water, I use a saucepan - odd as that seems. My inventory is one electric kettle in a box and zero rice cooker. That's kind of messed up.