Posted to rec.food.cooking
dsi1[_2_] dsi1[_2_] is offline

Default A new Fridge

On Sunday, February 10, 2019 at 7:19:53 AM UTC-10, Dave Smith wrote:
> The new fridge arrived yesterday. To my wife's delight, this one has
> the bottom mount freezer. I ordered it on Monday and was told it would
> likely be 2-3 weeks before delivery, depending on the manufacturer's
> warehouse stock. I was surprised to get a call on Thursday saying it was
> scheduled for delivery on Saturday.
>
> I had asked about changing the door to open from the right because it
> sits in the corner with the wall to the left. I was told there is a $20
> charge for that. I thought it was a little much but agreed.
>
> When the fridge came I checked about the door and was by the lead guy
> told it was the standard open to the right and I would have to contact
> the service department. I called up and was on hold waiting to talk to
> them about having paid for the left mount and it not being done.
> Meanwhile, the guys had removed the door to get it into the kitchen. I
> told them I was still on hold. The guy said he could mount it on the
> other side for me but that I would have to move the handle. Then the
> third guy said he would do the handle. The job that I was being charged
> for was about 2 minutes more work than just remounted it to the factory
> spec. They had a socket on a drill. The hinge bracket was already off.
> All he had to do was to pop out three plugs, turn the bracket upside
> down, screw the bolts in on the other side and then plug the holes from
> the original spot. The handle came off with an Allen key and two bolts.
> Meanwhile, my wife dug out the bill and it turned out the reason it had
> not been reversed at the warehouse was that the saleswoman had forgotten
> to put it on the bill and I had nor paid for it after all, so I ended up
> getting that little extra for free.
>

> I had to let it sit level for an hour before we started it up. Glad to
> say it came on with no problem. When we loaded the food into it I stuck
> in some freshly filled ice cube trays. They were frozen solid within two
> hours.
>
> I have to agree with my wife about the convenience of the bottom mounted
> freezer. It may be a bit of an issue to have to crouch to get stuff
> out of the freezer, but everything in the fridge is much more accessible.

Congrats on your new fridge. Hopefully, it will prove to be relatively trouble free.

My wife and I were working on our fridge yesterday. The nylon bushing on the hinge pin on one side had crapped out causing a bunch of problems: the center door seal wouldn't engage, the ice maker to ice dispenser seal wouldn't seal, the freezer gasket wouldn't wouldn't seal because rust from the hinge pin grinding itself to death would clump on the magnetic gasket. This machine has been just a bunch of trouble for us. It's one unlucky machine!