Posted to rec.food.cooking
GM GM is offline

Default I ordered a new rhubarb

Nancy2 wrote:

> Thank you, Gary, for posting the link to Barb's rhubarb recipe.
>
> N.

Nancy2, Aledo, a small town in Western IL (just east of you) has a very successful and popular "Rhubarb Fest":

http://www.aledorhubarbfest.com/

"Aledo Rhubarb Fest!

Friday, June 7th & Saturday, June 8th, 2019

This unique festival, which is celebrating our 28th year, will feature more than 3,000 homemade Rhubarb Pies for sale, Rhubarb Sampling, 12,000 free Rhubarb seeds given away, crafts, music, entertainment and more all set in our historic downtown. Were so serious about our Rhubarb that former Governor Pat Quinn officially named Aledo the Rhubarb Capital of Illinois!...

Pictured is Rhubarb Festival Founder Darlene Johnson at her €śThank You/Retirement Party€ť held in August of 2016. Johnson founded the festival in 1990 as a way to draw people to the area and to her cousins shop, the House of Burgess in Aledo. It started off as a simple idea. That first year Mrs. Johnson and her cousin, Barbara McWhorter offered samples of 13 Rhubarb dishes on the front lawn of the House of Burgess. That first Rhubarb Festival drew 67 people. Darlene felt she was on to something so she gathered volunteers and together, under Johnsons leadership, the Rhubarb Festival has blossomed into a 2 day event that draws 8,000-10,000 people to our little charming town. The Festival has become so well known, former governor Pat Quinn declared Aledo the Rhubarb Capital of Illinois and visitors have been known to say they plan their summer vacation around the little towns festival! Mrs. Johnson said theyve had visitors from about 20 states, including California, Texas, Colorado, Nebraska and Missouri. The Rhubarb Festival Committee and the City of Aledo are very grateful for the tremendous impact Darlene has had on our community. In 2016, Darlene retired as Chairperson of the committee but still plays an active role in volunteering. Aledo native and long time Rhubarb Festival volunteer, Pam Myers has stepped up to assume responsibilities as the 2017 Rhubarb Festival Chair..."

There is also a Recipe Contest, here is the flyer:

http://www.aledorhubarbfest.com/wp-c...L-132476-5.pdf

In past rural days, rhubarb was often planted adjacent to outhouses, that way the plants received a steady supply of "nutrients" ;-)

--
Best
Greg