Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default what's with peanuts?

On 2019-02-10 5:23 a.m., Gary wrote:
> Pamela wrote:
>>
>> A friend in Texas repeatedly raves about deep-frying a whole turkey in
>> peanut oil for Thanksgiving.

> I had one once at a friends house. It was an interesting
> experiment but nothing more. The turkey itself was very tasty and
> not greasy at all. You can't stuff the turkey though as that
> would be grease city.
>
> The peanut oil has no perceptable flavor...it just has a high
> smoke point so is often favored for frying various foods.
>
>> Maybe it's a southern thing.

> Not a southern thing...It was just a short lived fad maybe 15
> years ago. Do it once and not worth a repeat, imo. An oven
> roasted turkey packed full of stuffing is more the Southern
> tradition, imo. At least it is in my area.
>
> With me at least, one of the nice things about a thanksgiving or
> Christmas turkey dinner is the nice smells in your house all day
> as it cooks. With the deep-fryed outside in the yard, you lose
> that.

I have had it and it was okay. Not worth going out and buying the
equipment. The whole process scares me. I don't like the idea of
dropping something that big into a pot of hot oil over an open flame. It
is an accident waiting to happen. It doesn't help that the cooks are
usually half in the bag when they do it.