Posted to rec.food.cooking
Gary Gary is offline

Default what's with peanuts?

Pamela wrote:

> A friend in Texas repeatedly raves about deep-frying a whole turkey in
> peanut oil for Thanksgiving.

I had one once at a friends house. It was an interesting
experiment but nothing more. The turkey itself was very tasty and
not greasy at all. You can't stuff the turkey though as that
would be grease city.

The peanut oil has no perceptable flavor...it just has a high
smoke point so is often favored for frying various foods.

> Maybe it's a southern thing.

Not a southern thing...It was just a short lived fad maybe 15
years ago. Do it once and not worth a repeat, imo. An oven
roasted turkey packed full of stuffing is more the Southern
tradition, imo. At least it is in my area.

With me at least, one of the nice things about a thanksgiving or
Christmas turkey dinner is the nice smells in your house all day
as it cooks. With the deep-fryed outside in the yard, you lose
that.