Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Dinner tonight (2/6/19)

On Thursday, February 7, 2019 at 1:20:06 PM UTC-5, tert in seattle wrote:
> writes:
> >On Wednesday, February 6, 2019 at 7:53:50 PM UTC-5, Jill McQuown wrote:
> >> Pan seared chuck eye steak. Lightly salted, then let it sit to absorb
> >> and bring out the wonderful taste.
> >>
> >> I'll be roasting some cauliflower florets in the oven to go with it.
> >> Lightly steamed first then layered on a sheet pan and lightly brushed
> >> with olive oil, granulated garlic and S&P.
> >>
> >> Oh, I'll put some of that granulated garlic on the steak, too.
> >> Cooked to medium rare.
> >>
> >> Jill

> >Pan seared New York strip here, with a garlic and brandy pan sauce.
> >Vermicelli with butter, basil, and garlic.
> >Tossed salads with blue cheese dressing for him, balsamic vinaigrette for me.
> >
> >Beef and garlic. Great minds think alike.
> >
> >I've had a little pot of basil kicking around the kitchen for a couple
> >of months. The halogen lights in the range hood seem to be keeping it
> >going. Gardening. Heh.
> >
> >Cindy Hamilton

> someone told me she tried pan frying a steak for the first time and
> it came out with "too much crust" or something like that - she said
> maybe next time she won't get the pan as hot
>
> I don't do this much - me caveman, cook steak with fire - but in my
> experience you want the pan blazing hot and don't want to leave the
> steak on there for more than a minute on each side
>
> any words of wisdom?

This was a fairly thick steak. I'm not sure "blazing hot" is
required. I gave it 4 minutes per side in a AllClad pan (not
cast iron), then rested it while I made the pan sauce. It was
maybe just past medium rare, which is ok for us. Still nice
and juicy. It had a good but not aggressive crust.

We like steak cooked with fire, too, but we just felt like a
pan sauce. Wish I'd had some heavy cream...

Cindy Hamilton