Posted to rec.food.cooking
Terry Coombs Terry Coombs is offline

Default Honey score in the cupboard

On 2/4/2019 7:35 AM, Gary wrote:
> Terry Coombs wrote:
> What do honey bees do in the winter (or at least on cold days),
> Terry? Hibernate, I assume.
>
> I had an odd encounter with a honey bee one nice warm day that
> then turned extremely cold within an hour. It was 2-3 years ago
> in January or February. I'll tell the story once you tell me how
> they normally spend winter days.

Â* When the temps drop below about 40-50°F they cluster up in a ball .
Usually in the center of the hive , but the cluster can be anywhere .
There is a constant circulation of bees from inside to outside and back
, their body heat produced warms the cluster but not the hive itself .Â*
On warm days they break cluster and go on "cleansing" flights - gotta
take an occasional dump ya know .

--
Snag
Yes , I'm old