Posted to rec.food.cooking
Terry Coombs Terry Coombs is offline

Default Honey score in the cupboard

On 2/3/2019 7:28 AM, heyjoe wrote:
> On Fri, 1 Feb 2019 19:38:30 -0600
> in Message-ID: >
> Terry Coombs > wrote :
>
>> We still have 9 quarts of raw unfiltered wildflower honey down in the
>> cellar . Not even labeled since I didn't intend on selling it .

> Bought some honey at our farmer's market just before Halloween. Looked
> at the still sealed, unopened jar yesterday and it's starting to go to
> sugar already. Isn't that a bit soon? Don't know how long it sat on
> the shelf at the farmer's market, but would've guessed it was fresh some
> time this year, or is that totally off base since it's going to sugar
> already? I know about heating the honey in hot water, but that's a
> temporary solution, in my experience.
>
> In your experience, how long does it normally take for honey to start
> going to sugar? Does filtered vs. unfiltered make a difference?
>
> What are your thoughts and experience with your honey turning to sugar?

Â* I have never had a jar of our honey crystallize . The longest we've
held any of our honey is just over a year , one bottle we finished off
after harvest last summer . It may depend on the source of the nectar ,
certainly is affected by the residual moisture content of the honey -
ours is a little more runny than most store-bought - and how it's been
stored . How it's processed may have something to do with it , honey is
often heated to pasteurize and make it runnier and easier to push thru
filters . Ours is never raised above room temperature and is strained
only thru cheesecloth to remove bee parts (!) and wax fragments from the
extraction process . Our label states "raw unfiltered wildflower honey
from untreated bees" because that's exactly what it is . We use NO
chemicals in our hives , these bees are bred to control varroa mites
without treatments .

--
Snag
Yes , I'm old