Posted to rec.food.cooking
Janet Janet is offline

Default Honey score in the cupboard

In article >, says...

https://ibb.co/7CMPxNv

> > Some of the surrounding skin was unsavable so surgical closure proved
> > impossible. The wound was left open and treated by daily cleaning and
> > dressing for the five months it took to heal and grow new skin. I used
> > two types of (prescribed) topical dressing, one of them manuka honey.
> >
> > Manuka honey was highly effective from the POV of preventing infection
> > and tissue healing, but less so from the practical nursing angle as Dog
> > loved honey so much he could only think about licking it off. I used the
> > other stuff by day and the honey one at night.
> >
> > He made a full recovery and as soon as the hair finishes growing in on
> > the last tiny bald patch of new skin he'll be as good as new.
> >
> > Janet UK
> >

> * Unprovoked attack ?

Yes; out of the blue. My totally laid back non-aggessive dog was on
lead on a public road fully under my control and minding his own
business. As we walked past the farm entrance as we've done a zillion
times before, the farm dogs raced out in pack mode.

> I hope the other dog(s) was/were put down ...

No.

They are working sheepdogs. Without them my farm neighbour can't run
his farm or make a living. I know his dogs well and individually they
are harmless, highly trained friendly dogs; normally penned in secure
kennels when not working under his strict control. On this occasion his
wife had let them loose all together for a few minutes while she cleaned
out the kennels. They took off in a pack and reverted to dog pack
behaviour :-(( to repel the passing giant.

By the time we reached the vet surgery the farmer had already phoned
ahead to alert her to incoming emergency and take responsibility for
paying the bill ( which was enormous, after five months of vet care).
They are good neighbours ; we have managed to stay civil,as rural
neighbours must.

> they would be if they attacked my dog ! There's a honey from either
> Australia or NZ from a specific tree or plantthat is supposed to have
> strong medicinal properties . Wish I could remember the name .

I just told you it. Manuka is the Maori name for NZ native
leptospermum scoparium, "tea tree".

Janet UK