Posted to rec.food.cooking
Terry Coombs Terry Coombs is offline

Default Honey score in the cupboard

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-N7JqkJ2nc0
>> * One of the reasons we keep so much honey here is because it's good
>> for our allergies . My wife adds a tablespoon to her daily morning tea ,
>> I eat more in the spring than any time , that's when my allergies kick
>> up . That only works though if the honey was harvested in your own area
>> ... local pollen and all that . Honey also has other medicinal benefits
>> , I've read about it being used as a kind of antibiotic ointment .

> Manuka honey is used under medicinal prescription (by the NHS) in the
> treatment of hard-to-heal wounds and abcesses. Don't use smkt manuka
> honey for this; get the medicinally validated and purified prescription
> treatments.
>
> manuka homey is from a specific tree "Leptospermum, "tea tree", whose
> leaves also have medicinal uses. I grow tea trees in my garden.
>
> Last summer our vet prescribed medical-quality Manuka honey as one of
> the applications for healing our greyhound's big open wounds. During a
> dog attack he lost a palm-sized area of skin from his side (and a chunk
> of underlying muscle) were bitten off him.
>
> Not for the squeamish; in the vet car park before treatment.
>
> https://ibb.co/7CMPxNv
>
> Some of the surrounding skin was unsavable so surgical closure proved
> impossible. The wound was left open and treated by daily cleaning and
> dressing for the five months it took to heal and grow new skin. I used
> two types of (prescribed) topical dressing, one of them manuka honey.
>
> Manuka honey was highly effective from the POV of preventing infection
> and tissue healing, but less so from the practical nursing angle as Dog
> loved honey so much he could only think about licking it off. I used the
> other stuff by day and the honey one at night.
>
> He made a full recovery and as soon as the hair finishes growing in on
> the last tiny bald patch of new skin he'll be as good as new.
>
> Janet UK

* Unprovoked attack ? I hope the other dog(s) was/were put down ...
they would be if they attacked my dog ! There's a honey from either
Australia or NZ from a specific tree or plantthat is supposed to have
strong medicinal properties . Wish I could remember the name .

--
Snag
Yes , I'm old