Posted to rec.food.cooking
Opinicus[_4_] Opinicus[_4_] is offline

Default Apples and oranges

I'm making applesauce frequently these days for my wife, who's
recovering from hip-replacement surgery. My method is to chunk up
about a kilogram of cored but unpeeled apples, add some water and a
tablespoon or so of lemon juice (to keep the apples from oxidizing),
and cook covered over low heat for about 30 minutes or until the
apples fall apart. I then remove the lid, increase the heat, and boil
vigorously until I have the consistency I want. I let the apples cool
and take a stick blender to them to get a puree.

For the most recent batch I didn't have a lemon handy but I did have
an orange that was "past its prime" so to speak. I juiced the orange
and used that instead of lemon juice. I also threw in about a quarter
of the orange's peel, which I removed before the blender-stick step.

My wife loves the result and says that's how I should make it from now
on.

--
Bob
St Francis would have done better to preach to the cats