Posted to rec.food.cooking
jmcquown[_2_] jmcquown[_2_] is offline

Default All this talk of eggs. - Was: egg cooker question

On 1/9/2019 3:50 PM, jay wrote:
> On 1/9/19 9:30 AM, jmcquown wrote:
>> The other night I cooked three eggs, no more than medium boiled (one
>> was still slighly runny) for dinner.Â* Spooned the eggs from the shells
>> into a coffee mug, with butter and S&P added.Â* Mom called it
>> egg-a-cup.Â* It's something she made for my breakfast when I was a very
>> little girl.Â* I still enjoy it.Â* I toasted a slice of bakery sourdough
>> bread, lightly buttered.Â* It hit the spot.

> Eggs done as you describe are perhaps my most favorite way to prepare
> them. I don't do it all that often since it requires more effort than
> over easy.

There's no real effort required. You have to watch over easy. And turn
them.

For soft boiled eggs just set the timer once the water starts to boil
about 4 minutes for large eggs. I like them fairly soft. Immediately
take them off the stove and rinse in the pan with cold water. Crack the
shells and spoon the eggs with into the mug along with thin pats of
butter and S&P. Mix it up with a spoon and eat. With a slice of
buttered toast.

> Hard boiled eggs are not something we do often unless using
> up some eggs. They do travel well on road trips in a ziplock with salt
> and pepper added to the bag.
>
> jay

I suppose they do travel well. On road trips or picnics.

For me Egg A Cup evokes a childhood memory. Something I still eat.
It's comfort food, not a culinary adventure.

Jill