Posted to rec.food.cooking
U.S. Janet B. U.S. Janet B. is offline

Default Instead of buttermilk

On Fri, 11 Jan 2019 17:02:05 -0500, Dave Smith
> wrote:

>On 2019-01-11 4:09 p.m., U.S. Janet B. wrote:
>>
>> I tried the vinegar in regular milk today as a sub for not having the
>> real stuff.
>> Not nice. The taste was not pleasant in the baked biscuits. Well
>> worth having the powdered buttermilk on hand.

>I have used it many times for pancakes and they have always turned out
>nicely.

I didn't say they didn't turn out, just that the taste leaves
something to be desired compared to using the real thing. The taste
was flat. I've always used buttermilk and the taste is rounder and
smoother on the tongue, If you've always used the milk/vinegar you
will be accustomed to that taste. YMMV