Posted to rec.food.cooking
[email protected] penmart01@aol.com is offline

Default Score!

> "U.S. Janet B." > wrote

I got 3 beautiful, 4-pound Choice grade chuck roasts at Albertsons
for $1.99/pound. Regular $4.99/pound. I'll Foodsaver 2 of them. I'm
thinking about going back and getting maybe 5 or 6 more and grinding
them for ground beef. There is very little fat on these roasts and
just a blade bone so not much waste. The bones can be used to make
stock. I'll just go direct to the butcher and tell him what I want.
Pot roast with carrots and potatoes for dinner tonight!
Janet US

There's no such thing as very little fat in chuck.
I'd filet out the bones for stock, trim away fat to suit, and grind
the meat for burgers and meat loaf. When chuck roasts sell for $2/lb
its at least half fat plus bone... not much lean, not good for
braising. I see relatively lean boneless chuck roasts here on sale
for $5-6/lb., and they are still too fatty for me. Sometimes there
are fairly lean boneless chuck steaks at about $5-6/lb, I may buy
those to grill outside or grind them for burgers. I haven't seen any
decent chuck at $2/lb since 1960.
For dinner tonight I'm roasting a ~3 pound hunk of boneless pork loin,
was $1.79/lb for the entire loin, cut the 12 pounds into four roasts.
with baked spuds and frozen spinach-kale blend. It's in the oven now.
I buy the spinach-kale blend only because Popeye doesn't want to be
too virile, Olive Oyl would be ascared of being split in two.