On Thursday, January 10, 2019 at 1:27:29 AM UTC-10, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> On Wednesday, January 9, 2019 at 5:54:30 PM UTC-5, dsi1 wrote:
> > On Wednesday, January 9, 2019 at 1:05:03 AM UTC-10, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> > > On Tuesday, January 8, 2019 at 7:53:53 PM UTC-5, dsi1 wrote:
> > > > On Tuesday, January 8, 2019 at 7:46:46 AM UTC-10, graham wrote:
> > > > > On 2019-01-08 10:27 a.m., Nancy Young wrote:
> > > > > > On 1/8/2019 11:50 AM, Nancy2 wrote:
> > > > > >>
> > > > > >> Notbob, there is another way to clean the polished stainless steel,
> > > > > >> like the All-Clad frypan
> > > > > >> my DIL was going to throw out because she let a silicone scraper melt
> > > > > >> in the bottom.
> > > > > >>
> > > > > >> I went out to the Harley-Davidson dealer and got a small supply of a
> > > > > >> product that will take
> > > > > >> melted rubber or a synthetic rubber-like substance off an exhaust pipe
> > > > > >> (like if a rubber protective
> > > > > >> pad from a cycle suit got up against a hot exhaust pipe).
> > > > > >>
> > > > > >> It took a lot of elbow grease, but the scraper residue all came off.
> > > > > >> And the finish looked like new,
> > > > > >> and the pan is still as non-stick as it was originally.Â* Ta-dah!
> > > > > >> Magic!Â* ;-))
> > > > > >
> > > > > > An All Clad pan is worth fighting for.
> > > > >
> > > > > Certainly true as All Clad is still being made in the US and not China!
> > > > > All of my pans were made in Denmark, France or Italy. It's difficult to
> > > > > find good bakeware these days that's not made in China but I have some
> > > > > Chicago Metallic that is of superb quality.
> > > >
> > > > I'm not into brands but will look for beautiful design and execution and appropriate construction. My brother asked me if I wanted some of his pans. I chose a beautiful stainless steel saucepan with a lid. It's well made with a flared rim rather than a rolled one and has a solid steel slug bonded somehow to the bottom. I wanted to make some sauce last night and when I turned the heat on, I got a big fat zero. My induction range sensed that pan as not existing. That's the breaks.
> > >
> > > Probably a big aluminum slug bonded to the bottom, then. Maybe with a
> > > little stainless on the outside for appearance.
> > >
> > > Cindy Hamilton

> >
> > The bottom does not appear to be aluminum and it quite hard. It has an interesting swirled finish. It looks like it was hit with a large wire brush. There are no manufacture's marks. It has "Made in France" in small letters inside the folded metal handle. That's all there is.

>
> If it has a thin layer of steel over an aluminum disc, then it would
> not _appear_ to be aluminum, yet it would not have sufficient ferrous
> content to respond to induction. What happens when you try to adhere
> a magnet to the bottom?
>
> Cindy Hamilton

The base is a very hard metal and it's non-magnetic. The reason I got it was because it appears to have a non-clad, non sandwich, construction i.e., no aluminum. Unfortunately, it's made of non-magnetic stainless steel.