Old 10-01-2019, 11:27 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Circulon pot quality

On Wednesday, January 9, 2019 at 5:54:30 PM UTC-5, dsi1 wrote:
On 2019-01-08 10:27 a.m., Nancy Young wrote:
On 1/8/2019 11:50 AM, Nancy2 wrote:

Notbob, there is another way to clean the polished stainless steel,
like the All-Clad frypan
my DIL was going to throw out because she let a silicone scraper melt
in the bottom.

I went out to the Harley-Davidson dealer and got a small supply of a
product that will take
melted rubber or a synthetic rubber-like substance off an exhaust pipe
(like if a rubber protective
pad from a cycle suit got up against a hot exhaust pipe).

It took a lot of elbow grease, but the scraper residue all came off.
And the finish looked like new,
and the pan is still as non-stick as it was originally.* Ta-dah!
Magic!* ;-))

An All Clad pan is worth fighting for.

Certainly true as All Clad is still being made in the US and not China!
All of my pans were made in Denmark, France or Italy. It's difficult to
find good bakeware these days that's not made in China but I have some
Chicago Metallic that is of superb quality.

I'm not into brands but will look for beautiful design and execution and appropriate construction. My brother asked me if I wanted some of his pans. I chose a beautiful stainless steel saucepan with a lid. It's well made with a flared rim rather than a rolled one and has a solid steel slug bonded somehow to the bottom. I wanted to make some sauce last night and when I turned the heat on, I got a big fat zero. My induction range sensed that pan as not existing. That's the breaks.

Probably a big aluminum slug bonded to the bottom, then. Maybe with a
little stainless on the outside for appearance.

Cindy Hamilton

The bottom does not appear to be aluminum and it quite hard. It has an interesting swirled finish. It looks like it was hit with a large wire brush. There are no manufacture's marks. It has "Made in France" in small letters inside the folded metal handle. That's all there is.

If it has a thin layer of steel over an aluminum disc, then it would
not _appear_ to be aluminum, yet it would not have sufficient ferrous
content to respond to induction. What happens when you try to adhere
a magnet to the bottom?

Cindy Hamilton