Posted to rec.food.cooking
dsi1[_2_] dsi1[_2_] is offline

Default Circulon pot quality

On Wednesday, January 9, 2019 at 5:26:06 AM UTC-10, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> On Wednesday, January 9, 2019 at 10:02:37 AM UTC-5, graham wrote:

> > > Probably a big aluminum slug bonded to the bottom, then. Maybe with a
> > > little stainless on the outside for appearance.
> > >
> > > Cindy Hamilton
> > >

> > There's "stainless" and "stainless". If a magnet will stick to it, then
> > induction will work. My older S/S pots wouldn't work with induction
> > whereas my newer ones will and have a symbol stamped on the base.

> Steel isn't all that good of a heat conductor. Pans frequently have
> a disk of aluminum bonded to the bottom, optionally covered in a
> thin layer of stainless. Regardless of the quality of the stainless steel,
> the bottom of the pan is basically aluminum.
>
> It would be interesting to know what brand dsi1 actually has.
>
> Cindy Hamilton

It would be interesting but I don't know. You are right that steel and iron are poor conductors of heat. The dirty little secret of induction is that the pan heats up so fast the energy transfer is so localized that there's definite hot spots on the surface of the pan. That's the nature of the beast.. My wok is fairly thin so the effect is amplified but I love how my wok works with induction.