Posted to rec.food.cooking
jmcquown[_2_] jmcquown[_2_] is offline

Default All this talk of eggs. - Was: egg cooker question

On 1/9/2019 7:52 AM, l not -l wrote:
> This thread put me in the mood for hard boiled/cooked eggs; there were just
> 4 eggs left in the carton and that would be enough to satisfy. I am a
> steamer, but not evangelistic about it; I simply prefer multi-purpose vs
> single-purpose tools and a steamer works for me.
>
> I steamed the 4 eggs to hard cooked and cooled them in an ice bath of a full
> tray of rectangular cubes. Any one who uses anything but old-fashioned
> rectangular cubes is an idiot and should be flogged, Just kidding.
>
> Two of the eggs were used to make a satisfying, though long overlooked,
> breakfast of creamed eggs on toast. I had almost forgotten how good that
> could be on a chilly morning, with a cup of steaming coffee. Ah!!
>
> The two remaining eggs will either become egg salad or will be sliced and
> added to a salad.
>
> Whatever method employed to make them, hard boiled eggs can be tasty,
> versatile eats

If someone wants or needs to use an egg cooker it's fine with me. I
just boil them in a saucepan then run cold water over them. But... I
try NOT to make hard boiled eggs. I'm not a fan of devilled eggs and
things like that.

The other night I cooked three eggs, no more than medium boiled (one was
still slighly runny) for dinner. Spooned the eggs from the shells into
a coffee mug, with butter and S&P added. Mom called it egg-a-cup. It's
something she made for my breakfast when I was a very little girl. I
still enjoy it. I toasted a slice of bakery sourdough bread, lightly
buttered. It hit the spot.

Jill