Posted to rec.food.cooking
Sqwertz[_53_] Sqwertz[_53_] is offline

Default egg cooker question

On Mon, 7 Jan 2019 23:17:53 -0500, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

> On 1/7/2019 10:34 PM, Sqwertz wrote:
>> On Mon, 07 Jan 2019 15:09:20 -0500, wrote:
>>
>>> My APC battery back up
>>> has a Voltage meter on at all times, Voltage will normally be 120
>>> Volts but there are 5 Volt swings often, swings between 115 Volts and
>>> 125 Volts.

>> You have shitty electric service and a shitty UPS meter. I have a
>> transformer in my yard (everybody here has half a transformer in
>> their yard). I consistently get 117/234, rain, wind, show, and
>> gloom of night. Which is what your lines should read.

> A dozen years back I was losing light bulbs in the bathroom in the
> morning. I put a meter on it and got 160 volts. Seems like a substation
> two miles from me was cranking up in the morning in anticipation of a
> few factories starting up and they caused the over voltage. Never
> happened again once I notified them.

That's what the neighborhood transformers (on the poles or in the
yards) are for - stepping down the supplied high voltages to useful
household voltages. They should always output fairly consistent
voltages and amps regardless of the intake voltages/amps - except in
the case of large sudden power spikes.

I guess in that first second or so they could still fail to adjust
quick enough to blow out some bulbs. But transformers are usually
better than that these days. But factories need more amps rather
than higher voltages <shrug>

-sw