Old 07-01-2019, 07:03 PM posted to rec.food.cooking
[email protected] penmart01@aol.com is offline

Default Sink stopper

On Mon, 7 Jan 2019 12:43:27 -0500, jmcquown

On 2019-01-07 9:41 a.m., jmcquown wrote:
On 1/7/2019 10:04 AM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
On Monday, January 7, 2019 at 9:58:19 AM UTC-5, Jill McQuown wrote:
On 1/6/2019 10:40 PM, Nancy2 wrote:
My experience over the decades I have lived with a half dozen or so
sinks, is that a stainless
adjustable (open or closed) stopper that has small holes or slots
in it for water to go through
when it is on an "open" setting, is that so far, they have all been
a standard size.* All of them.
OTOH, I have always had a double sink, with garbage disposal on one
side.* I used to buy
new ones at KMart.* Now that they have closed, I will go to Ace
Hardware.* I have never
purchased one that did not fit, although I did mistakenly once
purchase one that was only a
stopper, and didn't have the ability to stay open unless I tipped
it at a slant in the drain.

N.

Veering a bit off topic but still about sink stoppers, last year I had
the pesky pop-up stoppers in my bathroom sinks disconnected and bought
good old fashioned rubber stoppers.* I got tired of dealing with
slow/clogged drains in the bathroom sinks.* Products like Drain-O and
Liquid Plumr were a waste of money.* Despite what online videos show,
the Zip-It drain cleaning tool was hindered by the pop-up
mechanism.* No
longer a worry.* Those little rubber stoppers make things so much
easier!* I went to a local hardware store and was surprised by all the
different sizes of bathroom sink stoppers.* I needed a 1-1/4" (very
small) stopper.

Jill

Except when cleaning the sink, I never use the stopper.* Even then, I
close the stopper only to conveniently clean the stopper itself.

Cindy Hamilton

That's kind of why I hated those built-in stoppers.* They just got in
the way and let crud build up in the drain which led to clogs.* I
rarely need to use a stopper in the bathroom sink.

Jill

I agree! Both the pop-up and the plunger types clog up too easily.

Ditto. Too hard to keep clear of clogs. Years ago I used to hand wash
hosiery and 'delicates' in the bathroom sink. There was no other reason
to have a bathroom sink stopper.

Obviously you don't shave. LOL
We have a screen over the drain, only time I remove the screen and
place the stopper back is when I shave.
I have the stopper disconnected from the plunger thingie so it just
pulls out after I finish shaving and the screen goes back. When not
used the stopper lives in a top vanity drawer with all my toilet
stuff, which isn't much. My wife has all the other five drawers and
they are full... she has tried to steal half of my one drawer but no
way.

I always take off my jewelry before
washing my face or brushing my teeth. I make sure I never set jewelry
anywhere near the sink.

Jill

That's smart. I don't wear jewelry at home, I spend too much time at
the kitchen sink.